|Dr. Abby Regner with Tilly|
Dogs and cats need regular veterinary care to help them enjoy their adult years to the fullest. Industry experts recommend adult dogs and cats visit their veterinarian once or twice a year depending on health related concerns. I recommend this to all my clients for a number of reasons.
1. Preventive visits assess the overall health of your pet. My comprehensive examination screens your pet’s weight, body condition, and dental grade, and evaluates every major body system. Evaluation includes:
Coat and skin quality
Teeth and gums
Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Throat
Abdominal palpation for kidney, liver,and spleen size
2. During my patient's comprehensive visit, I make sure to discuss all apsects of preventive care and provide counseling and information on various topics. Along with the physical examination, the assessment include:
- Tick-borne and Heartworm screening for dogs which includes tests for Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis, and Anaplasmosis
- Ova and Parasite analysis (stool analysis)
- Feline Leukemia Virus, Feline Immunoficiency Virus and Heartworm testing for outdoor cats
- Individualized flea and tick control treatments and recommendations
- Risk assessment to determine if any of your pet’s risk factors have changed
- Vaccinations based on your pet’s unique risks
- Behavioral and lifestyle counseling
- Nutritional counseling and weight management advice
4. Finally, forming a close working relationship with my clients, along with open and honest communication, is critical in making sure my patient's are receiving the care they need and deserve. Don't be afraid to ask questions or let your veterinarian know what your needs are. Afterall, we are here to make sure you and your pet continue to enjoy a healthy and rewarding relationship with each other!
Dr Abby Regner is an associate veterinarian at New Hartford Animal Hospital who is also certified in canine, feline and equine acupuncture and herbal medicine.